Monday, July 6, 2009

The Way You Speak Labels You!

When we sit down to have a conversation people are making decisions about where we should be placed on the social ladder. The way we speak labels us. This is unforunate, because many people may not be able to speak "good English," but they may have something very important to say. The article "Whose Standard? Teaching Standard English" brought up some good points. Many time people avoid using certain words, because they are afraid that they might not say or use the words appropriately. The way a person speaks determines whether or not they will have social acceptance. This attitude prevents students from taking chances, because they don't want to appear ignorant, and for this reason students often times play it safe. They stay away from words they are uncertain about. This makes it appear that they have a limited vocabulary. Teachers must create a learning environment where students are allowed to make mistakes and take chances. Where students feel safe to fail. We must help our students learn the standard English without humiliation. We must educate them of the rules and who enforces the rules. We must help them understand the benefits of mastering the English language while maintaining their self-worth and dignity.

3 comments:

  1. Samantha,

    Your post is so true. I have a hard time with this issue a lot. I have a friend that is a linguist, he studies languages, Spanish and English. Here in WIsconsin, compared to where he grew up in Colorado, we have different ways of pronouncing words, we have different words and phrases. He laughs and points out the funny things we say.
    Have you ever noticed that some people here in Milwaukee, pronounce "Mawawkey," forgetting the 'il.' I've never noticed but once he pointed it out I here it from everyone, including myself. As an English teacher, we are constantly looked at for the correct way to say something, and sometimes I question my own grammar. Does it make me less intelligent or less able to do a good job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it makes you less intelligent at all. I think it might identify you in a certain way...such as having a certain Midwestern accent might place you in "Mawawkey," Wisconsin. The way we speak is conditioned by who we grew up around, by where we come from and heard talking as kids. We have to have some model for our pronunciation, and we are most influenced by this when we are first learning the language during our formative years.

    It's such a shame that there are certain ways of speaking that have come to be associated with lower intelligence, lower social status, etc. It's like what Kerry Thomas was saying about her student using the word "like" all the time. She explained to the student that she certainly wasn't stupid, but saying "like" so often made her sound so. I'm sure I say "like" way too often and make certain grammar mistakes over and over again. Not to mention my Wisconsin accent that comes out in scary diphthongs and horrendously flat vowels when I least expect it to.

    Somewhere, sometime, someone decided that there is a proper way to speak English. There are certain deviations from this standard that are acceptable, and others that aren't, for whatever reason. I don't think anyone knows all the right rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I think students who do not have confidence in their English speaking ability shy away from speaking publicly. Most of our students where I work are ESL sstudents. Many have a grasp of the English language while others struggle. I beleive society will judge them as less than if they do not master the language. I do not agree with this label but I also am realistic in how harsh society can be.

    ReplyDelete