Saturday, July 11, 2009

Feminist and Deconstruction Theory

Our personal experiences always influence our world view in some way. Our gender, race, culture, ethnic backgrounds, status in society and etc... influence how we see situations and circumstances that take place around us. However, this does not mean that we can't be open minded and sympathetic towards others. We each can still decide how inclusive we are going to be towards others views. The feminist frame work provides students with a way to explore and understand views from more than one genders perspective. As a result, male and female students may come to understand one another better. Secondly, the deconstuction frame work provides students with the opportunity to look at the language within text and find the contradictions with the values and ideas that are being represented in the text. This helps students realize that in our world contradictions do exist. It teaches them to examine the structure of a system and to take away what they feel is oppressive and unacceptable. It helps them to find their own voice in a positive way. It provides them with a productive way to rebel. I believe that these theories can help students become stronger critical thinkers.

3 comments:

  1. I agree that it creates stronger critical thinkers.

    One thing that has always bothered me about feminist theory is the idea that it's a "girl's" perspective, and somehow only for girls (boys need not bother!). Maybe it is the labeling... Don't labels always seem to make stuff come unraveled a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack. Posted and was lost. Sometimes I hate the Internet.

    I think the multiple lenses really do help us get perspective. One thing that has always bothered me, though, was the label of "feminist" criticism. If it is labeled "feminism," it, by definition, becomes for girls--at least in the minds of some.

    Maybe it is the label that hurts it. Labeling seems to undo a lot of potential good...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through a phase in high school when I considered myself an "Equalist" : ) . Now I'm back to being a feminist, loud and proud. I was actually raised by two feminists; my mom and dad have always made sure that my sister and I knew we could do whatever we wanted, and that boys were NOT, as Justin Hein insisted in 4th grade, "better" than girls.

    ReplyDelete