Friday, June 19, 2009

Teaching Literature

I like the reader response theory as a way to get the students connected to the literature that they read. The fact that it provides the students with a way to express what they feel about what they have read is great. This way the students have a deeper connection to the literature. Young people having the opportunity to look at things from their world view is very important. Young people do have rich experiences and a wealth of knowledge. They are great teachers and supporters for each other. I know for sure that I will be using the reader response theory in my practice. I also like the idea of using themes as a way to structure lessons and choose material for class. In addition, I want to help my students become more critical viewers. I want to provide them with text and opportunities that make them think. I want them to be the change and decision makers of the future. I want them to know that they can accomplish anything that they put their minds to because they are more than capable. I want to provide them with the skills that will give them the confidence in their abilitites to achieve what ever their hearts desire.

2 comments:

  1. I think that everything that you want to help your students achieve are very noble and much needed. I can feel your passion for developing young minds into great minds. I also agree with you that reader response is a great way to introduce them to literature and different views.
    However, I also believe that we have to take literature beyond reader response in order to get our students to be the type of people that you want them to be. I think that first you have have to get them to have and know their own perspectives (reader response). But, I also believe that we have to teach them to consider, understand, and appreciate other viewpoints (any other critique) much more so in order to get them to the level of thinkers you hope for them to become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Leigh. We can not use the reader response theory in isolation. We must use other literary responses as well. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete